Sunday 29 May 2011

Which superpower would you choose?

There are a few discussions that recur in life. Some of these are the standard, prosaic one that occur at family gatherings on a semi-regular basis, whilst others are repetitive pub gossip amongst friends. Some are disgusting, some are banal and others are just strange.

One of these conversations that I have had a few times is about superpowers. To qualify, I'm not a comic book geek. I've seen the Batman and X-men films and a few other random superhero stuff, but I couldn't reel off the relationship between Captain America and the Green Lantern. I don't know the difference between DC and Marvel and I have certainly never (ever entertained the idea of) attended ComiCon.

That said, there are times when I'm a little jealous of the Caped Crusader. There are times when it'd be great to live outside of the rules of the world. Invariably, these sort of times lead to a little daydream where I wonder what exactly I'd like to change, and invariably I come to the same conclusion.

I'm not interested in superhuman strength, or an awesome innate weapon like Wolverine's claws or Cyclops laser vision thing (correct away, geeks). I don't want immortality, nor the ability to control nature, be that weather, the Earth's movements or magnetic fields. I don't want to fly (not a great fan of heights), swim like a fish nor be invisible. Being superflexible isn't for me, and if I'm being particularly honest, the idea of being bitten/poisoned/irradiated or in anyway painfully altered doesn't sound great either. I'm pretty selfish too - my chosen superpower probably wouldn't help humanity in any great way.

What I'd want is the ability to teleport myself, or apparate like in the Harry Potter series. I'd like to wake up late, and instead of panicking, running for the train etc etc, just to calmly teleport myself to wherever I need to be. Feeling stressed come Friday afternoon? Just shut your eyes and the next thing you know, you're chilling on a lovely beach somewhere, watching the sunset.

It's stereotype friendly (Jewish student...) and it's economically friendly too, as my carbon footprint would massively shrink. It could even increase productivity too - knowing I could just appear somewhere means I don't have to spend ages travelling so I could spend longer on the important things.

Effectively, there are no negatives that I can think of...so that's my chosen superpower. Let's hear some counter-arguments and other suggestions in the comments!

Apropos to all that, Batman> Superman 'cos any of us could be Batman if we were rich enough...time to go buy a lottery ticket...

1 comment:

Dex said...

Id be Dr Doolitle