Friday 25 May 2018

Season 7: Wrapped - League & FA Cup gongs + Impossibilitee goes on a World Tour

The skies change from grey to blue and like that, we're done for another year. It's been a bit of a chaotic year personally so my apologies for the slightly haphazard schedule. Friday night games, though rare destroy the ryhthm too and exacerbate issues.

Anyway, for next season, fingers crossed I'll be able to find a system that's NHS proof. My phone is already filled with screenshots of the prediction websites so I can work on  stuff on the go, but I'm not savvy enough to do the stats bit on my phone...so that gets done at home and then the blog gets drafted on the go. Not really any of your issues, but here at Impossibilitee Towers we've decided to be a bit more transparent and so giving you loyal subscribers a BTS look at the machinery. Anyway, if anyone's got any great ideas, I'm all ears.

Anyway, a couple of weeks on from the end of the season and already the new season is starting to take shape. Everyone knew Arsenal would be getting a new manager, but Allardyce & Moyes join Pardew on the short-term recycling pile. You really have to hope they're done - it's frankly boring watching every team turn to them for a short term boost followed by eye-gouging monotony.

Anyway, I've sort of said my piece previously on those teams who impressed and didn't, so let's get statty...

Matchday 38

21 people played
Most popular predicted results: Liverpool, Man United & Man City WINS (21/21)
Most disputed result: West Ham vs Everton (11-10-0 split)

Highest odds: Doron Salomon (1146/1)
Lowest odds: Steven Daniels (476/1)
Average odds: 811/1

Best predictors: Me, Joe Abbott & Andrew Feneley's Mother (8/10)
Worst predictor: Josh Gaon (4/10)
Average score: 6.14/10

Best predicted results: Liverpool, Man United & Man City WINS (21/21)
Worst predicted result: Bournemouth WIN (1/21 - well done Aron Kleiman)

Everyone's scores:



Final leaderboard (>2/3; 25/37):



Congrats to David Silverman winning his first Impossibilitee title. Get that CV updated stat. Trophy will be engraved and delivered over as soon as I, er, get it back. Silverman famously finished LAST in Season 6, so quite the turnaround for him. Clearly a good preseason, a little luck and some outstanding tactical tinkering have paid dividends for him.

Euroclub Index the best modeller. Parental wins in the Abbott, Daniels & Feneley households - in my case due to an interesting rounding up technique from Excel...

Matt Abbott bringing up the rear - a drop of a few places for him.

Those who played but didn't qualify for the leaderboard



I've also been collating cumulative data (as opposed to mean data) and it's as below. I should point out that due to my ineptitude, ECI missed out on 3 weeks, so would likely have topped this table, and potentially the whole thing, so...er, sorry...


Let's get all FA Cuppy:

I haven't given the semi-final results, so let's start there:

Semi-Finals

7/9 played
Most popular prediction: Chelsea WIN (7/7)
Most disputed: Man Utd vs Spurs (4-3 split)

Best predicted result: Chelsea WIN (7/7)
Worst predicted result: (Man Utd WIN 4/7)

Best predictors: The 4 who went for Man Utd...
Worst predictors: Sam, Doron & Me (3/7)


FA Cup Final

8/9 played
Most popular predicted result: Man Utd WIN (6/8)
Best predictors: Me & Gidon for putting a hatred of Mourinho above all else...

Everyone's scoreswith cumulative results...


So congrats to Josh Gaon, picking up a 3nd FA Cup game win in 6 years. The Wenger of Impossibilitee. Doron in 2nd, the Feneleys in 3rd.

Will be in touch re: prizes...

So that's the season all done. However, that's not all....

As you may not know, I've never been a huge fan of international football - or at least, not for more than a decade. So I generally view these summers as a little football detox.

For the last World Cup, we didn't really do anything. I was doing a thing with someone on an app if you remember, which resulted in nowt (for me, that guy, Zucker-something seems to have done ok out of tech). However, something fell into my lap recently and I thought, to maintain momentum, keep the old predicting skills in tip-top condition.

It's via an app called SuperBru - Android/iPhone etc or here:

https://www.superbru.com/worldcup_predictor/pool.php?p=11841549

Join the Pool named: Impossibilitee WC 2018

Pool code: riceergo

I thought I'd have a maintenance free summer (other than updating the museum parts of the blog), so hopefully this will be a bit of fun, reasonably low input from everyone and then somebody can claim Impossibilitee's first GLOBAL tournament.

Anyway, that's all from me.

As ever, thanks to you all for participating, and for those who actually read my drivel - thanks even more. Without you all, I'm just a man with a spreadsheet, and a blog, and an annoyed wife for spending time on this when I have other stuff to do - so basically you all validate my hobby.

Have a great summer, and hope to see some of you on the WC predictor - feel free to spread the word!

1 comment:

Tarek said...

Congratulations to the winners and sincerest thanks for maintaining your hobby - it's greatly appreciated by the Impossibiliteetatos. See you in SuperBru...