Thursday 28 May 2015

S4: The Final Table + FA Cup 3.Final

And just like that, season 4 of Impossibilitee comes to an end.

I'd like to say it's been a classic, but we all suffer from perception bias, and frankly, I had a shocker all season long, so it's not a moment too soon as far as I'm concerned. A big pre-season needed from my perspective.

The last matchday threw up a couple of shock results - Stoke absolutely hammered Liverpool in their best result in 60 odd years, whilst Leicester thumped a sorry QPR - the win wasn't unexpected but the emphatic nature probably was. WBA failed to leave their sunloungers in a first half where Walcott went wild with Wilshere; Wenger was well (w') impressed. Chelsea celebrated their trophy lifting afternoon with a fairly routine win, although they did have to come from behind - their carrying of Drogba was funny if a little bit unsportsmanlike for my taste. 

Burnley won at a Villa side looking ahead to tomorrow's FA Cup final to end their season on a high - they go with the good wishes of most neutrals, whilst Crystal Palace beat Swansea to finish in the top half for the first time in ages. The HarryKane returned to beat Everton, whilst Man City said goodbye to Lampard who'll finally move to NYC now. Nice that both he and Gerrard got their farewell goals - the end of a (debated to death) era

And finally to the final relegation spot - Hull needed to beat Man Utd to have any chance of staying up. They failed. 2 disallowed goals and 20 minutes against 10 men after Fellaini decided to castrate some Hull bloke before kneeing him in the face. Newcastle did their part anyway - beating a West Ham side who look forward to a new dawn in Stratford with European football, but without Big Sam. In feelgood moment of the week, Jonas Guttierez sealed his return from testicular cancer with the clincher, in what's likely to be his last game too.

And so to the end of our campaign - let's get statty:

This week, 18 people played
Most popular predicted result: Chelsea WIN (18/18)
Most disputed result: Stoke vs Liverpool (7-6-5 split)

Highest odds: Steven Daniels (7350/1)
Lowest odds: Feneley (1340/1) 
Average odds: 3433/1

Highest scorer: Feneley (7/10)
Lowest scorers: WhoScored.com, Steven Daniels, Josh Gaon & Will O'Doherty (4/10)
Average score: 5.28/10

Best predicted result: Chelsea WIN (18/18)
Worst predicted result: Spurs WIN (0/18)

Biggest swing: Mousa Sissoko's opener for Newcastle - 9 of us had the draw

Everybody's results:


So to the final leaderboard of the season, for those who played >2/3 of available week - 26/38



Josh Gaon led from the front all season, and hold on to win bu 0.05. A 3rd win in 3 seasons for the double FA Cup game winner - what a champion. The FinkTank consolidates their position as the best mathematical modeller. Honorable mentions to Yo Abbott with a solid 3rd place on debut and to Andrew Feneley's Mum for evading a late, desperate grab from Tarek. Just like at TrufShuf in 3rd year eh?

On a personal note, I've come bottom of my mini-family league for the first time. It's a humbling experience given previous leaderboard. Still, gives me a reason to ignore my family until August I guess....#canttakethebantz

The leaderboard for those who didn't qualify for the actual leaderboard...


All I've got to say is....JT....I expected better of you...

To the FA Cup, and it's an easy one to organise for those of you playing...

Arsenal vs Aston Villa - ARSENAL

I'll do a full FA Cup week next week, and will have do some close-season analysis of trends over the last 4 years, so you won't be without me entirely until August!

All that remains to say is thanks for playing once again, congrats Josh Gaon (trophy lifting session TBA) and good luck FA Cuppers.

See you next week and COME ON YOU GUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNERS!

7 comments:

Doron said...

Every week I seem to think I've done quite well and yet I'm no higher up the leaderboard.

Anyway, I'm going ARSENAL for this weekend.

Steven said...

Arsenal

Thanks for all your hard work over the season and entertaining us both with your thoughtful words and original statistics!

Feneley said...

I think I've taken some inspiration from my current local team (Leicester) in a good end of season run of form to lift myself out of the relegation zone to the low-mid-table spots.

My mum's rubbish though - I'm going to call her Hull from now on.

Tarek said...

I don't even deserve AFM after such a dysmal season. She was out of my league in third year too!

I'm glad I can finally put this season behind me and look forward to a solid return to mid-table mediocrity after the summer.

As for the cup, I am going for ARSENAL.

Many thanks for your entertaining posts and running of the blog! Would be good to catch up over a drink at some point! Maybe an Impossibilitee social or 5-a-side or something.

Sam Ruback said...

Great job with the blog for another season. Impossibilitee 5 a side sounds like a great idea

I am going with ARSENAL...

Joe Abbott said...

Enjoyed reading your blog on a Thursday night and did ok in my debut season!

Looking forward to participating in Impossibility V

As for the FA Cup Final, a difficult one for a Spurs fan but ARSENAL it is.

Thanks for organising a great competition

J

Josh Gaon said...

Thanks Richard for another great season of blogs rants and stats. Not quite sure how I've lucked out this season... Also top score for a season so far!

I hope arsenal can follow through with my trend. 2 fa cups then a league to follow!
Going for arsenal tomorrow of course!