Tuesday, 8 September 2026

S16M4: Narrative formation

Good day fine people. Blog on a Tuesday is it? The power of the 21st century. I'm like Eli Whitney, chilling on his porch as his cotton picked itself. Or something. I heard his name this week for the first time in years and it reminded me of school. We used to have an assembly at some point with the head of some section of the school. I'll be honest - it's all a hazy past. The teacher in charge was an Experienced gentleman who may or may not have taught in the time of the Tudors. He had thick black-rimmed glasses and would get up to address up, opening up a notebook he's have in his pocket. Presumably, it had his notes in it. Anyway, for some reason, with relative frequency - enough at least for this to be an anecdote I'm now recounting more than 2 decades later in an entirely unrelated football blog - he'd talk about Eli Whitney and his sodding Cotton Gin. I don't remember what the point of his story was for us, or why I've written a paragraph about this, other than to say, I can get the blog out faster as it takes me less time. Right, football. Friday night saw Liverpool play Ipswich and taught them a lesson. The lesson being our attackers are better than your defenders. A fresh start for a fit Isak? Or another false start. Only time will tell.

A series of draws followed. Bournemouth were pegged back with a late Newcastle equaliser, whilst some stuff happened between Brentford & Sunderland and Brighton & Leeds, but I'm not going to lie, it sounded boring and I didn't watch the highlights. Fulham, who you will all recall I said were going to be rubbish, were rubbish, and lost, dramatically, to Crystal Palace. Not sure about this Sage guy. Firstly, Pierre Sage is a made up name. Secondly, he looks like a bloke who services lifts. Thirdly, I cant really say I know much about him in France (and in fairness, Palace have sold anyone decent in the last few years), but this is rubbish stuff.

Man City both battered Coventry and were slightly fortunate to get 3 points. And Haaland looks silly with short hair. So there. More bore draws between Nott(s) Forest & Spurs and Hull and Villa. I can't get too het up about either, though think Forest can legitimately feel aggrieved with the VAR call that went against them. Even if it turned out to be ultimately right, there's no way the VAR can have been sure enough of the contact with the angles available for him. Bad process.

Sunday saw Everton peg back Man Utd twice, with a late screamer from the Birdcatcher himself. What a way to make your debut. Finally, on Super Sunday, an improved Chelsea still got little bro'd by an Arsenal side revelling in the gold patches on their sleeves. Let me tell you, as much as I enjoyed the win, it's made even tastier by all the salt from the Chelsea fans. Remember folks, seasoning is what you put on food to make it better....


Let's get statty:

This week, 24 people played
Most popular predicted result: Man City WIN (23/24)
Most disputed predicted result: Nott(s) Forest vs Spurs (11-8-5 split)

Highest odds: AFM (6,713/1)
Lowest odds: Geoffrey Skolnick (751/1)
Average odds: 2,378/1

Best predictors: Jospeh Matcha, Joe Abbott & David Graniewitz (7/10)
Worst predictors: David Silverman, Eli Daniels & Hannah Daniels (3/10)
Average score: 5.2/10

Best predicted result: Man City WIN (23/24)
Worst predicted result: Brighton vs Leeds DRAW (2/24)

Everyone's score:


For the first time this season....the Leaderboard. Remember to qualify, you need to have played >2/3 of available matchweeks, which given we've only done 3 weeks is...3/3.



To this week's predos:

Good luck all


No comments: